Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Can I Please Have a Kitten?

Well, Ava must have gotten wind of all the talk on blogs lately about pets. Avey and Mark are brand new parents to a cat, Charlie, while Tim and Erika contemplate the introduction of a dog to their growing household. Yesterday I decided to take Ava to the pet store as a source of entertainment on a cloudy day. I didn't think she was really old enough to pay much attention, but I couldn't have been more wrong. I took Ava out of her stroller to look at the puppies. Her eyes were glued to some precocious little pugs. She closely followed their every movement and even entered into a staring contest with one of them, two sets of eyes glued to each other separated only by a thin sheet of glass. Ava won as the puppy got bored and left to go play with his friends. Next we visited the kittens. There were two tiny bundles of fur that kept tumbling around with each other. They were moving fast and Ava thought they were very funny. She actually laughed out loud. This is quite something as, although Ava smiles all the time and is often heard shrieking in delight, she rarely laughs out loud. The kittens were a great amusement to her. Then we went and visited the hamsters. Ava tried unsuccessfully to grab one through the glass as he ran around and around on his wheel. We tried the birds, but they didn't really hold Ava's interest nor mine (some of you may know I have a slight fear of birds due to their rapid, flighty movements). We went back to the kittens and Ava laughed and laughed again. Then she looked at me with her mammoth eyes unblinking as if to say, "Mommy, can I please have a kitten?". Well, Ava, the answer is no, and, the answer will always be no.....unless you want to move in with Avey and Mark.

On another note, a shout out to Dave today for putting up with me in his house for the last three years. Happy Anniversary sweetie!

4 comments:

Erika said...

We have been trying to figure out what goods we should lavish upon on Ava when we are in Regina... we now know. Congrats on the anniversary!

DaveJenn said...

Nice change to your blog, it now looks very mature! And no Erika, we don't want a pet! Remember we could just as easily lavish some horrendous creature upon you, I'm thinking snakes!

Tarasview said...

Hi. I have been on holidays and am just now reading your blog! This post made me laugh. I want to send you those pics of Ava from conference- do you want me to email them to you?

Avey said...

Ahahahaha! I wish I would have read this post sooner! Oh Ava, you are right; kittens are so much fun! If you move in with us I'll buy you all the kittens you want the first second Mark is away!